TransConflict is pleased to recommend the following course, entitled “Information and intelligence cooperation in multifunctional international operations”, organized by the Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA), which includes a lecture by TC Advisory Board member, Julian Harston.
The aim of this course is to develop and improve cooperation, and sharing of information and intelligence, in multifunctional mission environments. Key to achieving this is equipping senior officers and professionals with the knowledge and skills to understand the nature of information / intelligence and to build functioning networks and systems for collection, analysis and dissemination of information.
Participants will learn how to improve communication and cooperation between the wide spectrum of mission area actors. They will also learn how information and intelligence is essential to all governmental and non-governmental actors, for increasing both mission security and operational effectiveness. They will develop their understanding of different actors’ respective information needs and the caveats necessary for enhanced cooperation and coordination.
Collection of information through the building of human networks, and the use of internet-based open source data mining techniques, will form the primary, practical, skills-based training modules within the course. These modules can be built on guided by the needs and special conditions of participants.
- Target group – 25 participants with relevant work experience, preferably from international missions. Participants should either already work in a related field or be designated for such work in the future. The course is for participants from governmental and non-governmental organizations, business communities, police and military organizations.
- Date – 22-29, April 2013
- Location – Sando, Sweden – the course is held at the Folke Bernadotte Academy campus, located on Sandö Island, 450km north of Stockholm. The closest airports are Sundsvall and Kramfors airports.
- Application – Applicants are kindly asked to use the electronic application form (link below). Instructions for use of the application form (opens in a separate window).
- Course fee – 10500 SEK including VAT 25%. The fee covers full board and accommodation. Costs for travel will be at the expense of the participant.
The closing date for applications is 22nd February 2013. For further information about the course, please call FBA course administration on +46-612-823-09, or send an email by clicking here.
About the Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA)
The Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA) is a Swedish government agency dedicated to enhancing the quality and effectiveness of international conflict and crisis management, with a particular focus on peace operations. The overall objective is to contribute to lasting peace and development. FBA functions as a platform for cooperation between Swedish agencies and organizations and their international partners. Its main areas of responsibility are:
- Civilian personnel contribution to international peace operations
- Education, training and exercises
- Policy, research and development
- National and international cooperation and coordination
- Funding of civil society peace projects
FBA has a preparedness to offer good offices for conflict resolution initiatives, such as talks between parties to a conflict. Within its mandate, it serves as a national point of contact with international organisations, including the UN, EU, AU, OSCE and NATO.
FBA coordinates the International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations and is an active member of the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres (IAPTC), Europe’s New Training Initiative (ENTRi), and the European Security and Defence College (ESDC).
The agency is named after Count Folke Bernadotte, the first official UN mediator, and its mission reflects Sweden’s commitment to international peace, security and development.