- Where - Uganda (Eastern Africa)
- Website - ugandaharmreductionnetwork.blogspot.com
- Contact Person - Wamala Twaibu Rodney
- Email - email@example.com
- Address - P.O. Box 31762, Kampala, Uganda
Areas of Expertise
The Uganda Harm Reduction Network has expertise in a range of areas, including:
Main Aims and Objectives
UHRN is an independent, non-profit making organization, non-political and membership driven grouping of IDUS and non-injecting drugs in Uganda, consisting of former and current drug users based in Kampala found in Jan 2011 and officially registered in November 2011 as a local community organisation by former drug Users. Its a national advocacy and capacity-building organization that promotes the health and dignity of individuals and communities impacted by drug use.UHRN was established in response to the apparent need for a coordinated, unified response and input by member organizations to local and international issues affecting IDUS and non injecting drugs.It seeks to be a coordinating body of member associations whose central role is to promote, develop and harness the collective efforts of marginalized groups in society, specifically. The organization realizes that the victim mentality has a debilitating effect of reducing IDUS to roles of being perpetual beggars. It is also acknowledged that there is need to study the causes of drug use predicament with the view of finding lasting solutions .The organization seeks to achieve its goals and objectives through advocacy, campaigning, lobbying, research, information dissemination, sharing, networking and capacity building.
Upholding the Principles of Conflict Transformation
To avail data, create a platform and visibility of IDUS in Uganda to speak out on their rights and promote cultural, social, economic and general emancipation and empowerment of IDUS.UHRN will, in particular, strive to promote:
- Sexual rights education
- Fair access to health facilities
- Freedom from stigmatization and discrimination.
- Freedom to self organise for IDUS.
- Freedom from abuse and fair legal representation
Where and with Whom
UHRN was established in response to the apparent need for a coordinated, unified response and input by member organizations across Uganda to local and international issues affecting IDUS and non-injecting drugs.UHRN’s main counterparts are:
- Womens Organisation Network for Human Rights Advocacy
- Lady Mermaids Bureau (LMB)
- Eurasian Harm Reduction Network
- African Sexworkers Alliance (ASWA)
Main Activities in the Field of Conflict Transformation
IDUS are the most stigmatised and discriminated population in Uganda, who continue to be marginalized, ostracised and excluded in the programmes and decision making processes that affect their lives. This marginalization is in sharp contradiction to the norms and values of human rights observance and has a negative impact on the lives of IDUS. This marginalization poses a threat to present a future generations especially as most of the IDUS vulnerable to the scourge of HIV and AIDS and gender violence.UHRN provides:
- HIV/AIDS prevention care and aupport;
- Human rights and advocacy;
- Capacity building and leadership/mentoring;
- Research and documentation;
- Outreach and information dissemination.