The main objective of this project is to strengthen the capacity of Local Youth Offices (LYO) from throughout Serbia to act as resource centres in support of the country’s integration into Euro-Atlantic structures.
- Project Updates
- Euro-Atlantic Integration On-Line Resource Library for Local Youth Offices
- Network of Local Youth Offices Engaged in Serbia’s Euro-Atlantic Integration
Research undertaken by TransConflict Serbia revealed that many young people lack sufficient knowledge about Euro-Atlantic integration, and are thus unable to effectively engage in debates and make informed judgements. It is imperative for Serbia and the wider region that a generation of capable, articulate and knowledgeable individuals exists that can contribute to the development of constructive solutions in an ever evolving global environment. This will also ensure that young people have a greater sense of inclusion in, and influence over, decision-making processes.
In particular, many young people lack sufficient knowledge about NATO and are thus unable to make an informed judgement about Serbia’s future relations with NATO. As an alliance of sovereign states, with a decision-making procedure based on consensus, the NATO of today is increasingly dealing with issues of global terrorism, natural disasters, pandemics and other issues with broader repercussions. It is, therefore, necessary that Serbian citizens, and its young generations in particular, acquire better knowledge about the current mission of NATO, and also understand that in the past decade or so, the very nature of this alliance and its objectives have undergone significant transformation.
In order to improve the level of knowledge and understanding about Serbia’s integration into Euro-Atlantic structures amongst young people, TransConflict Serbia will work with selected Local Youth Offices (LYO) from throughout Serbia with the aim of improving their own capacity to act as resource centres on such issues. LYOs, thanks to the relationships they maintain with young people, youth NGOs and political activists, provide ideal mechanisms through which to reach out to young people from various parts of Serbia, many of whom are often overlooked during debates about the country’s integration into Euro-Atlantic structures.
TransConflict Serbia will work closely with each of these LYOs in order to develop their capacity to raise awareness of, and foster active participation in, debates about Serbia’s Euro-Atlantic accession amongst youth from throughout Serbia. By strengthening their capacity to gauge the attitudes and perspectives of their local constituencies towards Euro-Atlantic integration and by providing a systematic platform through which young people can access informational resources, LYO’s can play a key role in building both the skills and knowledge of young people. The project will culminate with the development of a communications strategy outlining in detail the role of LYOs in communicating the benefits of Serbia’s integration into Euro-Atlantic structures to young people aged from sixteen up to thirty.
The main objective of this project is to strengthen the capacity of Local Youth Offices (LYO to act as resource centres in support of Serbia’s integration into Euro-Atlantic structures.
Other strategic objectives include:
- to stimulate greater interest in, and knowledge about, Serbia’s Euro-Atlantic accession amongst young people.
- to improve the system of information for, and foster the active participation of, young people on issues related to Euro-Atlantic integration.
- to raise awareness about and proper understanding of youth activism and democratic citizenship throughout Serbia, particularly by building the capacity of all participants to actively engage in civil society activities.
- to establish a sustainable alumni network of LYOs, youth NGOs and political party activists interested and engaged in the process of Euro-Atlantic integration;
- to encourage other municipalities from throughout Serbia to establish and support LYOs, and to develop activities that will complement and build on the National Youth Strategy;
To ensure broad representation of young people, TransConflict has recruited the following LYOs to participate in this project:
- 1. Kladovo
- 2. Novi Bečej
- 3. Obrenovac
- 4. Sremska Mitrovica
- 5. Sjenica