African Youth Peace Initiative (AYPI)
Frederick B. Kamara
Plot. 633, Salaama Road, Bukejje Zone – Makindye Division, P.O. BOX 89, Kampala – Uganda
Main Aims and Objectives
- To create networks and synergies with other youth and advocacy groups and organisations providing guidance and training in governance, conflict management, conflict resolution, peacebuilding, peace education and national development issues in the sub-Saharan region and beyond, as well as those organisations, groups and institutions involved in activities that seek to promote youth development;
- To conduct training for the youth in governance, conflict management, conflict resolution, peacebuilding, peace education and national development initiatives;
- To promote active participation of the youth in governance, conflict management, conflict resolution, peace-building, peace education and national development through their active participation and consultation in national issues and policy formulation and implementation.
Upholding the Principles of Conflict Transformation
By ensuring that all youth participants are involved in conflict transformation.
Where and with Whom
Cities, towns and rural communities, and with other non-profit organizations.
Main Activities in the Field of Conflict Transformation
AYPI’s main interventions are within the following strategic activities:
- Promotes conflict transformation and conflict sensitive approaches through inculcating the values of justice and peace among communities. The community outreach activities are premised on the principle that upholding the values of justice and ethics are critical in ensuring harmonious and peaceful coexistence among all people irrespective of their tribe, religion or political affiliation. Considering all forms of violence in the family and communities, communities are sensitized on the negative implications of conflict like causing under-development and stagnation of communities.
- Enhancing local capacities in rights based approaches, participatory resource monitoring and budget tracking to empower local communities to demand, participate and monitor development programs within there localities.
- Advocates for the active participation of the children, youth and women in the development planning at all levels.
- Works towards addressing the root causes of violence and its effects among communities through preventing, managing and transforming conflict within communities and ensuring socio-economic justice for the poorest and vulnerable groups.
- Conducts periodic trainings, research, issuing publications, newsletters and manuals on peace education and humanitarian development issues.
- Works with the media to create awareness and disseminate information through media outlets and forums to influence opinions and change attitudes as well as inform the public about critical issues. Recognizing that when people have the right information they are able to make informed and independent decisions and also fully participate in the development of their communities.
- Promotes education and welfare for orphans and vulnerable children through bringing quality education services nearer and accessible to the hard to reach communities and improving the welfare of vulnerable children among households.
- Brings together, through community meetings, orphans and vulnerable children and their caretakers into dialogue to create an environment conducive for the survival, growth and development of orphans and vulnerable children in the communities.