Blessed and cursed with enormous mineral wealth, the Democratic Republic of Congo has experienced a long and brutal civil war that has left over four million people dead and forced some two and a half million to flee their homes.
GCCT members from the Democratic Republic of Congo:
- Central Africa Conflict Prevention Association (CACOPA)
- Centre of Management and Promotional Support (CEDAP Asbl)
- Community Action For Integral Development in Fizi (ACODIF)
- Peace and Conflict Resolution
- Reseau des Femmes en Action pour le Developpement Social (REFEADES)
A peacekeeper of the United Nations Organization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) with a group of children during patrols of the Katanga area (UN Photo/Myriam Asmani)