- Where - Ghana (Western Africa)
- Website - www.splendorsofdawnpf.org
- Contact Person - Ayo Ayoola-Amale
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address - House no.14 Atomic Gate estate, Atomic, Accra, P.O. Box AT 1878, Achimota, Accra, Ghana
- Other - email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of Expertise
The Splendors of Dawn Poetry Foundation has expertise in a range of areas, including:
Main Aims and Objectives
- Use poetry to accelerate positive social change;
- Strengthen the presence and profile of African Poetry within Africa and overseas;
- Use the power of poetry to bring together artists around the world, to advance human rights and respect for the fundamental human rights of all persons, to promote democracy and excellence in leadership and workplace, to promote cross-cultural understanding, and love for humanity and world peace;
- Use poets and poetry in educational, healthcare, community, democracy support projects;
- Promote Poetry reading and writing associated with African Poetry in all its forms;
- Advance the writing of Poetry and the better understanding and appreciation of Poetry in schools and universities by championing and developing artistic experiences that enrich peoples’ lives;
- Establish networks and links between writers, readers, publishers and poetry related organizations in Africa and overseas; build networks of mutual help and thus promote communication among poets;
- Committed to a vigorous presence for Poetry in Africa by making poetry more accessible;
- To encourage and develop opportunities for poets and contemporary poetry in Africa;
- To act as the central contact for anything to do with poetry in Africa and the preservation of poetry in Africa;
- Develop and provide products and services, such as a national journal of high quality poetry, articles and reviews, African History through poems, Anthology of African Poetry, African Poetry magazine, a comprehensive library of African poetry;
- Develop educational and promotional materials;
Upholding the Principles of Conflict Transformation
The Splendors of Dawn Poetry Foundation (SDPF) was founded to celebrate poetry for the new African Future. The foundation is established on a principle of partnership and the mission of “bringing people together through art” by promoting African cultural values and tradition with the vision of excellence through poetry as the highest, most complete expression of truth and beauty.
Where and with Whom
Greater Accra and Central Regions, primarily. SDPF also works as an active member of a Coalition of NGOs Associated with the United Nations-DPI (Ghana).
Main Activities in the Field of Conflict Transformation
Write To Learn
Under the Write to Learn Project, SDPF undertakes poetry lessons in schools through Poetry Clubs. The clubs operate autonomously in their various schools but with a unique system/mode of operation prescribed by the Foundation. Poetry lessons and workshops are the main activities of the clubs taught by poets and volunteer interns from the foundation. A grand annual Write to Learn Contest is organized, which is tailored to underscore the ultimate objective of the foundation that seeks to advance good poetry writing. Poetry Lessons in schools are supported by workshops and resource packs.
SDPF provides in-depth writing instruction in a variety of areas that schools don’t often include in their curriculum. Creative and expository writing skills are essential for students to be able to express themselves as well as advance in school and the workforce. The student’s work will be published in an anthology.Speak To My Mind
Encourage students to craft poems that would enable them to explore and to harness the power of their own voice and sharpen their memory. Through the contest, a Star Poet will be adjudged and enrolled into SDPF’s child sponsorship package, which includes mentoring and the provision of educational needs.
Read Africa Project
Promoting reading books written by African writers, thereby stressing the importance of reading and of a well-rounded education, with emphasis on theoretical and practical education.
Save The Human, Life Is With People
This is a project of inspiration and social change, to create a society not just having the look of a human but being human – focus upon healthcare, prisons, homes for disabled, orphans, elderly people etc. This project undertakes a special quadrennial ‘Step to Change’ initiative that reach out to its target communities every election year on themes of peace and reconciliation, especially with respect to political issues. This is aimed at achieving democracy and tolerance through quadrennial talk shows and poetry performances on themes such as the values of love, humanity, tolerance and peace, including:
- Poetry performances for communities and political campaign teams members;
- Talk shops/Operas for contesting Parliamentary candidates;
- Life steps – a poetry performance for communities in times of reconciliation, and disaster recovery.