- Where – Kashmir (Asia)
- Website – www.kiir.org.pk
- Contact Person – Altaf Hussain Wani
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address – 11 Victory Plaza, F-8 Markaz, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Other – email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Areas of Expertise
The Kashmir Institute of International Relations has expertise in a range of areas, including:
Main Aims and Objectives
The Kashmir Institute of International Relations is a non-profit, non-partisan, non-governmental organization established in 1993 in Muzaffarabad, Azad Kashmir. With the motto of ‘Peace through Dialogue’, KIIR is working for a peaceful South Asia. KIIR believes peace can only be achieved by the resolution of the Kashmir dispute through substantive dialogue between India, Pakistan and Kashmiris.
To achieve this goal, KIIR has engaged policymakers and policy implementers: Members of Parliament, Political Activists, Lawyers, Journalists, Academics and Social Activists. KIIR is working to enhance the capacity of Kashmiri civil society actors in the areas of reconciliation, negotiation skills and conflict resolution. The objective of these initiatives is to facilitate dialogue that is conducive to reconciliation and peace in the region.
- Conflict Resolution – Creative approaches to analyze and identify methods in resolving conflicts
- Reconciliation – Preparing ground for political, ethnic, religious and different identity based groups to find the common grounds
- Human Rights – Monitoring the violation of civil liberties, fundamental democratic and human rights in Kashmir
- Sustained engagement – Engaging regional and international institutions to support the sustenance of the peace process
- Collaboration – Cultivating strategic partnerships with local and international interest groups in finding solutions to the disputes
- Facilitation – Supporting Kashmiri stakeholders in capacity building efforts
- Research advocacy – Creating knowledge and sharing research findings with partners and the wider public
- Transformation – Facilitating behavioral and institutional changes in the approaches to conflict resolution
- Bridge-building – Allowing policy-makers and civil society leaders regardless of their political allegiances, to jointly participate in developing the peace process
Upholding the Principles of Conflict Transformation
KIIR has been working on a variety of different levels, organizing conflict analysis workshops and leadership level dialogues. Drawing upon various faith-based traditions to promote consensus with regards to peacebuilding at the grass root level, KIIR works to:
- Develop a cadre of next-generation Kashmiri leaders who are committed to transforming the political, social and spiritual dynamics of the region through faith-based reconciliation;
- Build momentum for peace on an incremental basis; first by working with the individual parties to the conflict and, once a cooperative attitude has been established, by working with them collectively.
- Impart moral vision and promote forgiveness;
Where and With Whom?
KIIR is based in Islamabad in Pakistan, with regional offices in Muzaffarabad, Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), and a field presence in every district of AJK. KIIR also has partner organisations on the other side of the line of control in Jammu and Kashmir.
Main Activities in the Field of Conflict Transformation
KIIR’s activities include:
- Seminars and training workshops;
- Leadership and civil society dialogues;
- Conflict transformation and analysis workshops.
Examples of particular activities
- Kashmir Conflict Transformation Workshop – the participants shared ideas and experiences for building an environment of sustainable dialogue among Kashmiri people for strengthening the ongoing efforts for peace in South Asia. The workshop concluded by reminding the international community that the Kashmir dispute shall be resolved in-line with the aspirations of Kashmiri people by extending their right to self-determination.
- Intra Kashmir Dialogue – to bring Kashmiries of all regions and religion from both sides of the line of control in order to build bridges on the basis of faith-based reconciliation. The recommendations issued asserted that respect of all religions shall be part of the educational curriculum for essential moral values. Furthermore, a unified Kashmir voice is essential so that the legitimate aspirations of the people of the State of Jammu and Kashmir might be heard; whilst measures should be taken to share power and privileges among different identity-based groups in order to achieve social justice.
- Preparing the foundations for different political, ethnic religious and identity-based groups to find common ground – the objective of the project was to draw upon various faith-based traditions to promote consensus with regards to peacebuilding at the grass root level, in order to a) sevelop a cadre of next-generation Kashmiri leaders who are committed to transforming the political, social and spiritual dynamics of the region through faith-based reconciliation; b) build momentum for peace on an incremental basis; first by working with the individual parties to the conflict and, once a cooperative attitude has been established, by working with them collectively; and c) impart moral vision and promote forgiveness;
- Negotiations Skills Training Project – the objective of these workshops was to develop the peacebuilding capacity and negotiation skills of political leaders, business people, journalists, human rights activists, lawyers and other professionals in Azad Kashmir. Through lectures, role-plays, target exercises and exposure to various individuals, institutions and organizations in Washington DC, the participants acquired a keen understanding of different styles of interest-based negotiation, as well as general rules of diplomatic protocol, and multilateral negotiations. It was hoped that these skills would allow the participants to work actively in pursuit of peace and successfully negotiate their interests with governments, inter-governmental organizations and non-governmental agencies around the world.